Monday, March 03, 2008

The price of eggs

One of the things we did this weekend was to go shopping in South Granville. Yes, that is right, we left the downtown core for Kitsilano. We had to return some lamps to Pier One Imports and figured that since we were going to be over there, we would also check out Meinhardt foods to hopefully get some balsamic vinegar on sale.

Let me just say now that I am no expert when it comes to balsamic vinegar. I knew it could get expensive, but my version of that story approaches $30 - $45 dollars. I had no idea it could get up into several hundred dollars!
My pictures turned out blurry, probably because of my state of disbelief - but you can still see the prices in the first one.

I know I don't exactly sound like a 'sophisticate' when I talk about sticker shock, but it does amaze me sometimes what some people will pay for things. There were many other shops in the same area that were substantially more expensive than their competitors even though they were selling exactly the same stuff. Some of the kitchen stores had amazing markup, often in the double digits when compared to their mall equivalents. What possesses a person to say 'yes, I will pay $20 to $50 extra for this item even though I can find it cheaper within my local area.'? It can't be convenience, since often these places are on the same block. It can't be brand because that is the same. I just don't get it.

No comments: