Monday, November 07, 2005

Looking back can help us go forward

Okay, first things first: everybody step back from the pomposity of the posts' title. I am in no way going to offer insight or guidance in today's shot from the hip. I just had trouble writing a title for today.

First up is a blogger who noticed his local car dealer was having a difficult time selling Hummers. I had a whole lot of crap written down about it, but decided it wasn't worth it. The blog post is funny because it's true. Even if I won the lottery, I would have no interest in buying a Hummer. I would really hate to be a car salesman for these guys. Tough times.

Next, we have an op-ed piece that talks about the riots in France. The thing that caught my eye here was that he suggests France abstained from the war on Iraq not because of deteriorating relationships with the US, or an interest in oil, but rather out of a position of weakness. France has a lot of Muslim immigrants, many from Africa and the Middle East. They fill the suburbs that surround French cities. Mark Steyn suggests they knew how explosive their domestic situation was and decided they couldn't risk an unpopular war. Interesting stuff, especially since the riots are slowly escalating and have already claimed their first casualty.

So after hitting you twice with the heavy side of what is going on in the world today, I figured it was time to numb your senses with something meaningless. It's a list of the top 100 Greatest Internet moments. Some are truly great, others I'd rather forget and others I never knew about. But I will say this: after exploring some of this list, I forgot all about Hummers or France.

No comments: