Sunday, June 15, 2008

Conflicted about Car-Free

There was a Car-Free festival in my neighborhood today, and we did turn out to support it. I like the idea of riding my bike or taking public transit instead of driving a car and it makes me feel good to know that I am not 'part of the problem' as it were.

Having said that, I still am somewhat of a car enthusiast. When I see a nice car, it turns my head just the same as a nice bike does. In recent years I have become a fan of cars like the Smart Fortwo and others like it because of the way it sips gas like a scooter. But really I guess I won't be truly satisfied until a truly sustainable car becomes available. Something that does not release emissions into the atmosphere, for example. Even this doesn't address traffic problems but honestly, I think that the current (and rising) gas prices are going to do a lot to reduce volumes over the next few years.

Unfortunately, some of the best cars are the classics which means that even if they do build something that has no emissions, it will also be something that likely has no soul. I have seen the electric sports cars and they don't quite do it for me. The only hope for beauties like the one pictured here would be to retrofit an engine that was able to do the job without the mess. I don't see that happening anytime soon.

No comments: