Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Went diving on the weekend


BillDaveDivin1
Originally uploaded by iTripped.
I went diving yesterday with Bill. There are some things in life you never get really good at, mostly because you don't do them often enough. Diving is like that for me, or rather, navigating underwater. Bill is always teasing me about how pathetic my underwater nav skills are. He's right, for the most part, but I just tease him about losing his mask on our last dive. Despite some ill-fitting rental gear, we had a good time diving at Ellison Park, which is on Okanagan lake.

Our first dive was to see a tug boat, but we almost didn't make it down because Bill was having gear 'issues'. Eventually he got them sorted though, and we did the dive. The wreck is pretty fun, with the hull resting on rocks at a severe angle. Whenever I approach a shipwreck, the moment of first contact is the best for me. I'm usually cold (because wrecks are usually deep) and tired of seeing nothing but rocks when suddenly, out of the darkness the ship begins to form. I realize at that point that the dive was worth it. There is nothing more frustrating than doing a dive to see a wreck, only to not find it.

So back to the wreck. Since this was in freshwater, the usual amount of sea life was missing. For me, that usually means no threat, as I usually get a bit jumpy around strange wrecks as I half expect some sea monster to pop out. Too many horror movies, I guess. Luckily for us, Ogopogo (a local mythological creature much like the Loch Ness monster) decided to pull a no-show. Still, it was fun examining the finer details of the hull, like the broken port-hole that looked like it had a bullet hole in it, or the intricate design on the keel.

No comments: