Monday, June 20, 2005

Smallest Jet Engine


Smallest Jet Engine
Originally uploaded by iTripped.
One of the places I really wanted to visit on my vacation was the Smithsonian Air and Space museum. So accordingly, my wife and I planned a day trip to Washington DC, where this museum happens to be located.

To be honest, I was a little overwhelmed at the amount of stuff on display. Since parking is always a challenge in DC, and we only had 2 hours on the meter, I decided to focus on the 'Air' part of the museum, and to forego much of the 'Space' part, as quite frankly, I am less interested in that.

Anyway, I found this little gem on display. I can't quite remember the title it had, but it was something like 'smallest jet engine in production'. Feel free to correct me if you know more about it. Also feel free to tell me what make and model it is if you know, as I failed to record that.

Usually when I think of flying, it is in a propeller driven aircraft but I think that is mostly because I'm not really interested in military craft. When I saw this engine, my eyes widened at the possibilities for personal aviation. Of course, I can only imagine how expensive it is, and like the saying says, 'if you gotta ask...'

No comments: