Saturday, January 26, 2008

Sunshine no more

The weekend forecast is for a little snow in Vancouver. As of this moment, it hasn't hit the Downtown area yet, but it has clouded over and it 'feels' like it will snow. We have a little running around to do, getting groceries and the like, but other than that, foul weather won't really bother me too much as most of what I want to do this weekend is indoors.

One of the things I was hoping to do was install WINE on my Ubuntu partition, but for some reason, when I open the package manager, it will not let me select that package for install. I think it has something to do with the fact that I run an AMD64 version of linux, but it would suck if I have to install WINE manually, as then I won't get notified when there are updates. Plus, it would have been nice for a non-technical person like me to just 'let the OS handle the details' like so many other packages.

Why would I want to install WINE, if I already have Vista running, you may ask. Well, I'm hoping that I can run some windows-only apps under linux that currently don't work so great in Vista-64. A little backwards, I agree but I felt it was worth a try at least. This isn't a pressing thing to do, but more like me tinkering a bit - stay tuned for the post where I announce that I completely trashed my linux install in the process.

No comments: