Monday, April 16, 2007

Vancouver Sun Run

This is what Georgia Street looked like last Sunday morning. Over fifty thousand gathered to participate in the Vancouver Sun Run, an annual race that promotes health and fitness.

The usual problems associated with such a large crowd were there (waiting almost an hour to start the race, walkers being seeded up front, people with strollers and/or dogs) but despite that, the event was still a lot of fun and the city had the streets cleaned up again surprisingly fast (ie. that same day). I did not encounter one person who was in the run that was not having a good time - everyone was happy and friendly - at least everyone I met.

My race was a walk - quite literally. Even as such, I did manage to complete it in about 84 minutes. The last time I was in it, I went with my buddy Eric and pushed myself too fast - and ended up limping half way through the race because of it. Of course, since this year had me out late the night before at a friend's housewarming party, I did need a lengthy nap after the race. At least I was well behaved enough not to suffer from a hangover though.

One of the things I have always enjoyed about this race is the many bands that get to play trackside. While waiting to start we were entertained by the Neurotics as well as 10 Souljers. There must have been about a dozen other bands scattered along the course, each tirelessly performing for the racers. Hearing a steel band playing under the Granville St. bridge instead of steady traffic gave Vancouver a whole new atmosphere, and I loved it. By the time I finished the race, my legs were a little tired, but my mood was pretty good. BC Place stadium was open for the crowd of racers and I am sure that every one of them paused to take a good look at the roof that ripped earlier this year before proceeding to the tables with fresh oranges.

No comments: