Wednesday, May 24, 2006

48 hours in Pursuit

So for my stealth trip to Vancouver, I rented a car. Since this was to be a solo trip, I decided an economy class car would do the trick, to keep gas costs down. I was given the keys to a Pontiac Pursuit, but as I walked past the Mustang convertible, I was feeling that I had misplayed my hand somehow.

But the car was black, and did have a sunroof - and would be much more comfortable (and reliable) than my Jeep. I later discovered that it also had a 12 inch subwoofer in the trunk. Maybe this Pursuit wouldn't be such a bad ride after all.

As it turned out, the car was actually pretty nice. I used most of the 'toy features' at one point or another. By 'toy feature' I mean things like cruise control, fuel economy calculator, or that sunroof I mentioned. The other thing about this rental is that I went for the option to purchase a tank of gas at their price, instead of returning the car with a full tank. While this ensured I got gas for about $0.05 cheaper than what is available, it also gave me strong incentive to return the car as near empty as possible. THIS IS NOT RECCOMENDED FOR CARS YOU ARE NOT FAMILIAR WITH. About 45 mins away from my destination, the low fuel indicator came on. It was a tense half hour as I coasted/creeped toward the next gas station for a quick $5 worth of gas. Next time I think I'll top up the tank as required and drive with a healthy reserve in the tank. The savings in stress alone would be worth it.

For those of you who know the area, I was returning on the connector and the low fuel light came on about 2/3rds of the way back to Kelowna. I actually put the car in neutral and coasted for 20 km from the mine to the end of the freeway. Never have I been so glad to see Westbank.

No comments: