Sunday, March 01, 2009

A visit to the library

It had been a while since my wife and I had been to the library and for good reason: we both owed a fair bit in late fees. So this weekend we went to make amends and settle our debts - only my debt was higher than the amount of cash I had on me so instead I just put down $20, bringing my total to under $10. You can't use the card if you owe more than that. (I did not know that until the librarian told me.)

I really like going to the main branch in Vancouver. It's such a nice building and there is always something going on. On this visit there were a bunch of engineers from the University of British Columbia and they were showing off the fun things they get to do in the name of research. There were all sorts of prototypes, each of which basically spoke to me saying: 'you missed your calling.'

Which is not entirely true. I do love cool boats, cars, planes - basically all of the forms of transportation. But I don't think I 'missed' anything by choosing the path I have. I have a lot going on right now and if I had chosen a different path, who's to say what I would be missing out on that I have right here? But it does shed light on the possibility of what direction my next career might take. One day I likely will return to university and if I do, it will be to learn something in a completely different.

All I know for sure is that I won't be testing software my entire life. Not when I find myself so taken with these other possibilities. But if I start building something, having a background in testing will probably be helpful.

No comments: