Monday, August 18, 2008

Bikes Named After Beer

There is a local bike shop in town called Rain City Bikes that happens to be located close to where I work. They happen to sell bikes named after beer, which blends two things I really like.

Naturally, I had to go take a look.

SE Bikes is a BMX bike manufacturer that has come out with a new line of single speed bikes designed for urban riding. The model names are Draft, Lager, Premium Brew and Stout. But it's not as simple as picking your favorite type of beer to select your ride - the bikes vary quite a bit. For example, the Stout is more of a mountain bike, with 29" tires - it reminds me of a trials bike without the serious brakes.

The two models I really liked were the Lager and the Premium. These are the two road bike models. The Premium has a very nice lugged steel frame in 'Irish Green' that looks very nice, especially when matched up with the saddle, bars and cranks, all in a light tan scheme. Where it goes wrong (in my mind) is with the yellowish gold rims.

The Lager is very similar except the steel frame is welded instead of lugged and it is painted in a medium brown (beer colour!) One of the coolest parts on this bike has to be the bull horn handlebars which are very comfortable. Another added feature is that it does not have the unfortunately coloured wheels of the Premium. I know that's the style these days, but I think it looks gaudy. And well, Lager is apparently cheaper than Premium brew too, by several hundred dollars. It's interesting to see how new bikes are being made to look like old ones.

In a perfect world I guess I would like to have a Premium bike with the handlebars and wheels from the Lager. Either that, or a Lager with the saddle from the Premium, just because I liked the colour combination. Most bike dealers, this one included, are more than willing to mix and match a bit to get things just right. But alas, it is near the end of the cycling season and stock is hard to come by. This shop no longer has my size of frame in stock. Still, it's nice to know that there is a local shop that sells reasonably priced bikes that I am interested in, given how particular I can be about these things.

No comments: