Sunday, September 17, 2006

Richmond Night Market

One of the things my wife and I planned to do on our trip to the Lower Mainland was to visit the Richmond Night Market. So last night was the night we chose to head over and check things out. We have been there before, so in part it was to see how things have changed from the past, as well as to enjoy some 'interesting' Asian foods.

But that is always half of the fun. Sorry, no food pictures in the Gwilli style - but we had octopus balls, lamb kebobs (mine were extra spicy) and some deep fried thing that was shaped like a fish and had red bean paste inside. We may have had something else, but I can't remember. We were going to have some shark fin soup, but couldn't find some that we liked well enough to order.

On stage, there was some sort of a game show - like the old Dating game, or singles match or whatever it's called. The basic premise was one lady was able to ask three gentlemen (who were hidden from her view, but not the audience's) some basic questions, and then she chooses one to go out on a date. The whole thing was unscripted, corny and very informal. So of course, I enjoyed it. My wife picked the guy who would win while eating one of those fish shaped donut things. (I'm a bit of a fast eater, so mine was already gone.)

Other than that, we didn't buy much at the night market, other than a new coat for Louise. One of the kiosks was selling dog clothing and our problem has always been finding clothes that fit Louise. Come to think of it, that's also a problem for the rest of us too. Anyhow, the seller was very pleasant, and a little bit entertained when he found out that our method of measuring the neck size for the dog garments was for me to try it around my neck. You see, I have the same size neck as my dog. If it doesn't fit me comfortably, well you get the idea.

Anyhow, we had fun, and barely managed to catch the Night Market. It's seasonal, running from May to October. I'm sure we will be back next year though.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I didn't know Octopus had balls??? :-)
Derek