Monday, May 05, 2008

Attack of the Sniffles

This weekend was spent nursing a cold. Not a 'knock you out and drag your lungs down the street' kind of cold but more of a 'every time you sneeze, you leak' kind. I tried to function as best I could, but in the end I needed drugs and about two days to do nothing. At last, the sinus pressure has subsided and I seem to be breathing clearly.

In fact, my first outing today was not until about 9 pm, when I took the dog out for a walk. After being in bed all day I was eager to stretch my legs, even if only for a little bit. I am feeling good about tomorrow. It is also when I snapped this picture of the Vancouver waterfront.

In other news, my 20 year High School reunion is coming up and I was thinking that I might be able to attend. My parents were excited to have us return home for a visit and were eager to have us as guests - so much so that they wanted to use their aeroplan miles to bring us home. They apparently had enough points, but somehow it still ended up costing a $30 service fee and another $127 fee to cover airport security taxes, airport improvement fees, fuel surcharges and other miscellaneous cost extras. Both of these charges were per person, so for my wife and I to return to Nova Scotia, it was still going to cost over $300 to fly 'free' on points. To top it off, the flights in question were anything but direct. You know it is bad when the agent refers to your route as 'the milk run' (this refers to a trip that goes from Vancouver to Edmonton to Calgary to Montreal and then finally to Halifax, taking about 14 hours to complete what normally is done in about 5) and says if we didn't like that, there was an option to have a TWO DAY layover in Toronto. We decided to cancel that trip and start planning for something around Thanksgiving, when direct flights are still available (at least so far.) Luckily, since we canceled on the same day that my dad booked the flights, there was no extra charge.

We also happen to have a credit card that collects Aeroplan miles. This experience has left me wondering whether to keep it or not.

No comments: